April 10, 2009

O Come And Mourn with Me Awhile

Today is Good Friday. Be joyful and mourn.

There are many reasons why I am proud to be Irish (one of which is that I am Irish and am required to be proud). But if there is one thing I am proudest about, it is the Irish ability to be joyful about death. I don't know if it is unique, but I believe it is very Christian. My life is not bound to this world, but is bound to my God, and my death is not a loss on my part, though it may be on yours. There is a joy in knowing that a loved one is in the arms of their Savior, and a joy in nostalgizing their life instead of lamenting our less furnished future.

To this I want to reflect on the classic hymn "O Come and Mourn with Me Awhile" written by Fredrick W. Faber. The only version of this hymn that I really know is the Jars of Clay version from their album Redemption Songs, which is a remix of various traditional hymns. This song reflects a joyful mourning which I think is the proper tone to Good Friday. The chorus is particularly significant, as it paints a picture of a contest between anthropomorphized Love and Sin, and through Christ's death, Love has won.

So we come with a somberness, recognizing the torment and the trial. And yet, through the lashing (both by tongues and whips), through the crying, through the trek, and through the blood and offal on the ground, we celebrate a victory! A victory over death, oppression, and sin. And so we have a mixed cup of water and blood and we hold up both to our Lord. Through the sorrow on the cross our hearts can break open, and allow a door for the love of God to come in a fill us completely.

So, I present here the lyrics for your reflection on this day of joyful mourning:
O come and mourn with me awhile,
O come near to the Saviour's side,
O come together, let us mourn,
Jesus our Lord is crucified

Seven times He spoke seven words of love,
And all three hours His silence cried,
For mercy on the souls of men,
Jesus our Lord is crucified

O Love of God,
___O Sin of Man,

In this dread act your strength is tried,
And victory remains with Love,
Jesus our Lord is crucified

O break, o break hard heart of mine,
My weak self-love and guilty pride,
His Pilate and His Judus were,
Jesus our Lord is crucified

O Love of God,
___O Sin of Man,
In this dread act your strength is tried,

And victory remains with Love,
Jesus our Lord is crucified


A broken heart, a fount of tears,
Ask and they will not be denied,
A broken heart love's cradle is,
Jesus our Lord is crucified

O Love of God,
___O Sin of Man,
In this dread act your strength in tried,

And victory remains with Love,
Jesus our Lord is crucified

No comments: