July 4, 2009

Happy Independance Day

Due to today, I have not had the oppurtunity to write the devotional that I usually do on Saturdays. I wasn't really home all day long, so I couldn't get at my computer. But I had a pleasant surprise when I did get home.

My wife and I live in an apartment complex that is on the shore of a relatively large pond (almost 2 miles long and a kilometer wide) which is formed by a breach in a near by lake (Actually, one of the great lakes). Normally this isn't very important, other than the beauty of the water. Esther and I occasionally take strolls there, but not as often as we would like.

Well, what we found today was that after night fall, all around the pond there were about 6 to 7 different fireworks shows. None of them were as formal as what one would usually see, but there was something wonderful about that. It gave a greater sense of community to me, as if the people in the area were doing the fireworks together, rather than merely hiring someone to do it. This with the beautiful water made it the best fireworks show I've ever seen.


I think there is great wonder and beauty in informality. Don't get me wrong, formality and structure have their place, and chaos is never really to be desired. But sometimes it is the informal that makes the greater impression since it feels more personal.

Any, happy Independence Day!

No comments: