October 29, 2012

...

Justin Lewis Glynn
October 16th, 2012 9:00am
to
October 27th, 2012 1:23 am
 
As any of you who have been following my blog knows, my son Justin has been quite sick. He's better now, though Jesus will be raising him instead of me.
 
Justin had a condition called heterotaxy, which means that certain organs in his body weren't in the normal place. Though it is possible to have heterotaxy and be completely fine, it is very common for some of the organs to also be formed improperly. In Justin's case, we discovered his heart was not formed properly while he was still in utero.
 
On the morning of the 26th, they were going to conduct the first surgery to assist his heart. However, there was a lot of fluid collecting in the lungs in the days preceding: more than was expected based on what they knew of his anatomy. The suspicion was that there was also something wrong with the lungs. So the plan was adjusted with them first taking a biopsy of the lungs, to see if anything was wrong with them.
 
Just before the precedure, we spoke to the surgen. Apparently he was next to certain that Justin had Lymphedema, and had been of this opinion even before Justin was born, though this was the first we had heard of it. Lymphedema is the collection of fluid in part of the body due to the lymphatic system being compromised, which is a fluid draining system. After the surgery this was confirmed. Essentially, Justin's lymphatic system in the lungs didn't really form properly. In fact, I got the impression that it didn't form at all.
 
Due to the lymphedema, it was impossible for Justin to be able to survive the surgery. Therefore, they stopped the surgery and sent him back upstairs, and gave us the news. It essentially meant that barring a miracle, Justin would not survive the week. So, we made a decision to let him go. We called our family and friends together, so that they could say their good-byes.
 
At a little after 12:30am on the 27th, Justin's breathing tube was removed. The picture below was taken at 12:36 am.
 
It was just Esther and I in the room at the time. It was the first time we really could see his whole face. We both sobbed for 5-10 minutes straight, though I wasn't really paying attention to time. He stayed with us for a while, but eventually passed away at 1:23, about 45 minutes on his own. He was so beautiful.



Anyway, I won't be posting anything new for a couple of months, though I do have something planned for Thursday. I'll be reposting some of my favorite posts from the past. I'll probably still be on the blogsphere since I find it relaxing, but I'm going to be taking it easy for a while and focus on my family. God bless you all.

5 comments:

bethyada said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Love and commiseration from our family across the Pacific. May our good God, the true Father of both you and Justin, continue to be with your family during this time.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction.

LexCro said...

JC,

Grace and peace to you and Esther in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. I am sorry for your loss. Justin was and is a handsome boy. Thank you for allowing us to walk with you in prayer. Blessings in Christ to you and Esther in this hard time.

Erin said...

Martin - I heard about this through Mel and I was able to stumble upon your blog. I am sooo sorry to hear about Justin. I understand what you are feeling..having had my nephew stillborn a year ago Oct 19. If you and Esther need anything, let me know. I know Justin is with Jesus and has met up with my nephew Caeden and they are in His arms.

~Erin

Kevin Jackson said...

Martin, I'm so sorry. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. What a beautiful boy.

Unknown said...

Hey Martin, Sorry for your loss. He was an adorable baby. I like the name Justin. My second cousin's name is Justin too. Thinking of u and your family. Thank you for sharing. Take care.